Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies


I saw this recipe on Martha last week and just couldn't pass it up.  It's from 'Wichcraft (one of Tom Colicchio's restaurants) and they looked so tasty.  They were!  The oatmeal gives them a nice and different crunch.  And I loved the turbanado sugar.  

The recipe states it makes a dozen sandwiches but I got close to 30, and that's with half of them being thicker than called for.  The filling amount was perfect for all of those though.  When I make them again I'll roll thicker and cut the filling in half.  It's just not good for my rear to have that many cookies sitting around eying me up.

Enjoy!

Cookies
1/2 cup plus 4 tablespoons room temperature unsalted butter
1 cup old fashioned oats
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons AP flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar (I used light and threw in about a tablespoon of molasses)
1/2 cup peanut butter
Turbanado sugar for sprinkling 

Filling
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
3/4 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt

Cookies
  • Line baking sheets with parchment. Preheat to 350.
  • Melt 4 tablespoons butter in medium saucepan over medium heat.  Add oats and cook until toasted, stirring, about 5 minutes.  Cool.
  • Whisk flour, baking soda, and salt.  Set aside.
  • With paddle attachment, cream 1/2 cup butter and both sugars.  Add peanut butter and mix well.
  • Add oat mixture and flour mixture.  Mix on low until combined.  Roll dough between two sheets of parchment about 1/4 inch thick (I did thicker and liked it better).  Refrigerate until chilled.
  • Cut out using 2 inch round cookie cutter.  Sprinkle with turbanado.  Bake 10 minutes.  Cool on sheets.
Filling
  • Mix all ingredients together with paddle attachment on medium until smooth.  Use a disposable pasty bag to cover half of cookies.  Top with other half.
I got the recipe from Martha.

No comments:

Post a Comment