This week on my online mom's group was the Cookie challenge, which I hosted. The group vote was for fall decorated cookies (the Peanut Butter Sandwiches came in second). This is my recipe, which I've had for years and slowly tweaked. It's perfect for cut outs. It doesn't spread or fluff up too much and it's not particularly sweet, which is nice because the royal icing is.
2 sticks butter
1 cup sifted powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon milk
2 1/2 cups flour
2 egg whites
4 cups sifted powdered sugar
1 juiced lemon
milk for thinning to flow consistency
- Preheat to 325
- Whisk flour and salt. Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add vanilla and milk. Beat until combined. Add flour mixture and beat until just combined.
- Roll out thick on powdered sugar covered surface. Use cookie cutter. Re-roll any scraps.
- Bake until edges are pale golden, about 10-12 minutes. Cool.
- Beat egg whites to stiff peaks. Mix in sugar and lemon. Beat 1 minute.
- Color (I use Wilton gel colors)
- Outline first, thin icing, then fill in using a toothpick to push into corners.
- Let dry overnight before stacking.