Thursday, October 16, 2008

Chocolate Cinnamon Cupcakes


First, I must apologize to my 3 faithful readers.  I have been gone too long.  I have been baking, but have managed to forget to take pictures of the final product.  I've also been working on a side project.  My friends on my on-line mom's group have helped me start up a cookie business of sorts.  So I've been busy making about 1,117 thousand cookies for trials and pictures.  Take a look!  Sugar on Top orders.  

Anyway, these cupcakes I made for my coffee meet-up, which is where most of my baked goods end up.  They get treats, I get free coffee.  Win-win.  They're a nice, moist cupcake with a cinnamon icing that has a nice kick to it.  And they go wonderfully with coffee!

I halved this recipe and got 9 perfect cupcakes out.  I accidently kept the icing recipe full scale, but it's a good thing because I used it all on those 9.  If I had made the full cupcake recipe I would have had some pretty skimpily frosted cakes!

Enjoy!

Chocolate Cinnamon Cupcakes
 1 1/2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
3/4 cup hot brewed coffee
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/4 cups flour
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
Heavy 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
Heavy 1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
Heavy 1/4 cup oil
3/4 cup buttermilk
Heavy 1/4 teaspoon vanilla

  • Preheat oven to 300.  Line cupcake pan.
  • Put chocolate in hot coffee, stirring occasionally, until fully melted.
  • In a medium bowl, combine sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
  • In bowl of electric mixer beat the eggs until slightly thickened and a light color.
  • Slowly add oil, buttermilk, and vanilla to eggs.  Then add melted chocolate mixture.
  • Add the sugar mixture until well combined.
  • Pour into liner about 3/4 of the way full and bake for about 35 minutes.
Cinnamon Buttercream Icing

2 sticks butter, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 cups powdered sugar

  • Beat butter until light and fluffy.  
  • Add vanilla.
  • Slowly add sugar and cinnamon.  Beat on high for about 5 minutes.

This recipe was slightly adapted from Ice Cream Before Dinner

4 comments:

  1. I hope that I count as one of the three :). You mean between a Husband/son/new business you don't have time for your blog. I might give these a try for one of my faculty meetings because if baked that many sweets there would only be one place all those goodies would go, and I just can't spend any more time watching the minutes pass on the treadmill. Take care, I hope all is well

    Darren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look fantastic!! Yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy! What a great combo!

    ReplyDelete