Thursday, March 12, 2009

Chocolate Peppermint Cupcakes




I've had this picture sitting around for months now, waiting to be blogged about.  I remember how tasty and perfect these came out, especially in mini form , and couldn't wait to tell you all about them.  So why the wait, you ask?  Well, I couldn't find the recipe for the life of me.  I have a folder of blog recipes to try, a folder of hard copy recipes to try, a folder of recipes to type up, and a folder of recipes to blog.  It wasn't in any of these folders.  I was convinced that I'd lost it forever.  Until today.  I have been up since the wee hour of 4:00 am and did some serious google searching and finally found it!!  So before I lose it again, here it is!

Enjoy!!

Chocolate Peppermint Cupcakes with Ganache Center
(makes about 24 full size)

Cupcakes
1  1/2 cups boiling water
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1  1/2 cups sugar
6 tablespoons butter, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
1  2/3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

Ganache
1 cup bittersweet chocolate
3/4 cup whipping cream

Frosting
2 sticks butter, room temperature
4-5 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1/4 cup milk 
1/8 teaspoon peppermint extract

For cupcakes
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Prepare liners.
  • Combine boiling water and cocoa, whisk well and let cool.
  • Beat sugar, butter, and vanilla on medium speed until fluffy, about 5 minutes.  Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
  • Combine flour, baking soda and powder, and salt in a small bowl.  Whisk to combine.  Add to butter mixture alternately with cocoa mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture.  This is a thin batter, don't worry!
  • Fill liners about 2/3 full and bake 17-20 minutes (minis took me about 12 minutes). Cool.
For ganache
  • Chop chocolate and place in a glass bowl.  Bring cream to a boil and pour over chocolate.  Let sit for 30 seconds or so and then stir until smooth.  Let sit until thick enough to pipe.
For frosting
  • Beat butter until creamy.  Add 4 cups powdered sugar, milk, and peppermint and beat until combined.  Add more sugar to get a piping consistency.
To Assemble
  • Once cupcakes are cool but a small cone out of the center of each top and fill with ganache.  Replace top (or don't, I've done both).
  • Pipe frosting on top.  I used a Wilton 1M tip for my little star dollop and it was perfect.  
  • Pipe ganache in a zig zag over the top.

What happens when I photograph during non-nap times:



I found this recipe in several parts on Iheartcuppycakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment