Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Creamy Lemon Crumb Squares


I made these a few weeks back for some friends we had over to watch football. They were super easy to put together and very yummy. They weren't too tart, but that could be because I used Meyer lemons from my little backyard tree!

Creamy Lemon Crumb Squares

Crust/Crumb
1 1/3 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 stick butter, slightly soft
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup oats

Filling
1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed mil
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
zest of 1 lemon


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

For crust/crumb:
  • mix butter and brown sugar together
  • sift together flour, salt, and baking powder. Add oats.
  • press 1/2 of the mixture into the bottom of a 9x9 pan that is lined with parchment.

For filling:
  • mix together milk, juice, and zest. Spread over crust.
  • crumble the remaining crust/crumb mixture over the top. Don't press it down, just sprinkle it all over.
  • bake 20-ish minutes or until golden
  • cool for 30 minutes on the counter, then put in the refrigerator for a few hours to get completely cold.

Slightly adapted from The Pioneer Woman.

Notes: the only real change I made was to the pan size. The original recipe calls for an 8x11. I really thought there wouldn't be enough lemon filling if I had to spread it out and I think I was right. These weren't filling heavy but had the perfect amount of creamy lemon.

No comments:

Post a Comment